Name: Pozhals ;)
How did you find out about the community? If it's through an LJ user, please tell us who it is (individual user if possible, not just a community name!): Just searched 'a song of ice and fire'
All About You
1. Describe your ideal house/home. Please go into as much detail as possible, and be sure to include your ideal geographical location in the description!.
It would be on the outskirts of a major city, but close to the countryside. Preferably in a non English-speaking country. There would be a lot of other houses nearby, and small local shops. It would be a little way back from the road, with a front garden and preferably a large back garden. Vines would frame the sash windows. Inside, it would be light in the day and cosy in the evening. A piano would be absolutely imperative! There would be cycle lanes nearby so I could ride my bike without worrying about the roads.
2. Imagine you’re given the classic opportunity: a genie granting you three wishes. What would you wish for? Please be as elaborate as you can. Wishing for more wishes is not permitted!
1) to be able to cope with depression – I can become very sad, and sometimes parts of my life really suffer. I put on or lose weight, work doesn’t get done, I can’t venture to the pub or whatever because I get too anxious. It really takes over my life.
2) to be able to help others to cope with depression – It’s something that many members of my family have struggled with at some point and it breaks my heart seeing a loved one not smiling for a long time. The dark moods I’ve encountered are something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
3) Never-ending motivation – I suppose this is a bit like coping with depression, but I wish I had the motivation to write more and play my instruments more, and maybe compose something. The problem is, all my motivation is taken up by my degree.
3. In your life so far, what accomplishment are you the most proud of? Why? You can list more than one if you have trouble deciding. ;)
Probably the fact that I can get by in four languages without having been brought up in another country. Being able to speak four languages isn’t necessarily impressive, but as a British 21-year-old whose entire family speaks nothing but a little French and a smattering of Spanish, it’s something I’m proud of. I worked hard to get to this standard but still have a long way to go.
4. Which of the following is most important to you: Love, Money, Knowledge, Family, Friendship, Adventure, or Pleasure? Which is the least important to you? Please explain why for each choice.
I think family is the most important because I wouldn't be able to carry on trying to do life without them. I'm not usually very sentimental, but I well up at the thought of not having their support. I have a huge extended family and we meet up every so often, sometimes with new additions. These gatherings are usually a highlight of my year. Friends come very close behind, because I know a lot of really kind people.
Money is the least important because that comes and goes.
5. What's one quote (or passage, song lyric, etc.) that effectively describes you and your values? Explain.
"You will one day meet again and on that day that you meet again, your smiles will stretch for as wide as the distance that you have been apart” – Chris (Simpsons Artist) on Facebook. My best friend sent this guy a message when I moved away to another country for a while. I never know which country I’m going to be in in a year’s time but when I go back to the places I know people, it feels like I was never away. I loved this quote so much that I wrote it on my door when I lived in Canada.
6. How do you manage your money? On that note, how important is money/financial security to you? Go into as much detail as you can.
Oh I really can't manage money. I always start a little red book where I write down everything I've spent really anally and then give up after a few weeks. It is important to me, but not as important as it probably should be. I'm sure that when I'm older I'll regret spending so much!
7. Name (and elaborate on) some of your hobbies. What are your favorite things to do outside of school/the office?
I like to play music in a wind band and meet people. I also like to go out to clubs and bars to dance, but I probably need to stop drinking so much.
8. Name three things you are afraid of. Explain.
Being alone - I need support a lot, especially in the past few years. I think the scariest feeling is when everything feels wrong and you’re not sure to whom to turn. I hate being in an empty house!
Never going back to Russia - I spent 4 months there and it just wasn't long enough. I miss it every day I spend in the UK.
Feet - gross.
9. Name (and elaborate on) your top three BEST and top three WORST qualities (personality-related, not physical). Please answer as fully as you can, as this is an important question.
Best (this feels so weird!):
I get on well with people. On the whole, I am quite chilled out and non-judgemental. I try really hard to understand why people do the things they do, and try to be understanding.
I don’t take any shit. Although I try my hardest not to be confrontational, if someone tries to put me down or do something that I don’t think is OK, I will tell them. Usually tactfully.
Sometimes I say funny things and people laugh.
I need people around me. It isn’t so much that I like having people around, I need to have people around. I cry and get all melodramatic like a lonely dog. As soon as someone comes in the front door when I’m home alone, I will run up to them and greet them and lick their face. I imagine this comes across as a bit needy, as sometimes other people need alone time.
I talk too much. Especially when I’ve had a drink. I say everything I think without a filter. If there’s a silence, I’ll fill it by saying something inane like “what colour bath towels do you like best?” and people realise it’s awkward. Once, I was with a group of strangers and during a lull in conversation, I made some comment about someone having sex with a horse. No one liked me after that. I’ll lump in ‘swearing too much’ with this one as well. I accidentally said the ‘c’ word in front of my parents and their friends while at the pub and just about melted of embarrassment.
I beat myself up (metaphorically) over everything and it’s really unattractive. It can be about anything: the way I look, if I don’t do enough work in a day, forgetting to do something… It’s a bit self-centred and probably incredibly annoying for the people around me. See, I’m beating myself up for beating myself up!
I really could go on; it was hard to pick three things!
A Song of Ice and Fire Related
1.How many books from the series have you completed?
All of them so far, so spoiler alert!
2.Who are your favorite three characters in the series? Why?
TOO HARD! I love them all.
Arya because she's just awesome. I wish I was as brave as her (and not as squeamish!). I love the way her character develops. she isn’t always a moral young Stark; she becomes a character who’s really shaped by her experiences.
Sansa because she's exactly how I would be if I were put into these situations. I would squeal a lot and probably wouldn’t have had the guts to push Joffrey onto those spikes either. Can’t say I’d be happy if Littlefinger snogged me, though.
Varys because he's a sneaky bugger and you don't know what to expect from him. I like how he plots and schemes and he’s so clever.
Also going to put Jon Snow in here because I really, really fancy him and can’t explain it. Not even Kit Harrington (although he is an attractive young man). Jon Snow.
3.Who are your least favorite three characters in the series? Why?
This is even harder! Maybe Joffrey because he’s so hateable. He’s such a good character though.
The Sandsnakes, just because I can’t remember all of their names and get them all confused.
Lysa Arryn for being so irritating and having cringey sex.
4.#1 Favorite moment in all of ASOIAF so far? Why?
When Littlefinger pushes Catelyn's sister out of the moon door because it's so unexpected. I just read it and shouted "WHAAAT?!" George R R Martin is bloody clever. I was also chuffed because Lysa was being horrid to Sansa and I was getting uneasy and kept imagining her shagging Littlefinger, which was grossing me out quite a lot.
5. In your dream-world, how would you like to see the series end, and why?
Jon Snow wins and marries me.
They wake up and it was all a dream.
Or, my massive theory: it turns out that it was just some kids playing with their toys all along. They made up this whole world.
Maybe I should leave this to George R R Martin… I genuinely don't want to say, because I could ruin the surprise! Also, he has a way of surprising us, so if and when it does end, I expect it will be pretty incredible.
Anyway, I’ve been as honest as I can – hopefully you’ll know where to put me because I really don’t know! Cheers :)